In 1876, when the Omaha and Republican Railroad (now Union Pacific) extended its line from Valley to Lincoln, it was decided that a village named Clear Creek would be platted where Yutan currently stands. Due to confusion with Clearwater, Nebraska, the village’s name was changed on June 6, 1884, to Yutan, in memory of Chief Itan, of the Oto-Missouri Indians who had an encampment southeast of Yutan until 1835. Yutan was originally settled by predominantly German and Swiss immigrants who homesteaded farms in the area after the Civil War. On December 30, 1997, the Village of Yutan was proclaimed a City of the Second Class. The first mayor took office on June 16, 1998, along with the first city council.